7.26.2008

the boy will learn from someone

I was talking to my friend Nicole tonight about how kids are being raised in this society.

Before you think, "Boy, that's all easy for him to say--he hasn't raised kids yet! Who's he to talk?" Just hear me out. I want to challenge our generation. I am in no way saying parenting is easy. And I have observed many things, including things my parents did.

I think you can probably figure out the details of what is disturbing me from just a simple story from working at Cici's:

Over a year ago, one day I was cleaning tables and junk, and I noticed a mother eating with her little boy. The woman was on her cell phone the entire meal. The boy ate virtually by himself. It was so nice of this mother to spend good quality time with her son, right? Oh yes.

It made my stomach turn inside out. I wanted to take her cell phone and send it through the conveyor belt pizza oven.

We need a refreshed generation of parents. I know there are many great parents out there, but I think we are slacking.

And I'm not talking about rules and spankings, necessarily.

I'm talking about effort.

There are many great ways to rear a kid good. But it takes work.

We need parents that are willing to invest in their kids' lives more than other crap.

Because the boy will learn from someone.

The boy will learn how to make conversation.

The boy will learn how to make friends.

The boy will learn how to interact.

The boy will learn how to have relationships.

The boy will learn what to do with his body.

The boy will learn how to treat women.

The boy will learn how to treat men.

The boy will learn how to treat you.

The boy will learn from someone.

The question isn't whether or not the boy will learn it all.

The question is who will the boy learn it all from?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) this makes me smile Bennett!

Anonymous said...

mmm. well spoken, sir.i do indeed agree.

Daniel Coutz said...

I also agree. I especially like the part of being willing to invest ourselves into their lives. I had to give a devotional for the Men's prayer breakfast at my church and I talked about the need for the men of our church to invest themselves in the lives of the youth of our church. I used Barnabas (one of my favorite men in the Bible) as an example of that.

Anonymous said...

So true!

-Melanie

Anonymous said...

Ben, First in defense of parents, I believe most try very hard to do what's right. Unfortunately we all fail miserably at times. I know I did.

Second, I do agree with you. We need to be willing to invest time. I know I didn't always invest wisely. I really want to invest in the kids & young adults in my church. If the children & young people remember me for anything, I would hope they would remember that they were loved unconditionally. I hope my kids do too. I enjoy reading your blogs. Most make me smile. Your a pretty special young man.

Bennett said...

thanks :)

Robert said...

Agreed. I miss you too, man.